Thursday 3 April 2014

No7 Pop & Glow Cream Blush

Blusher is one item in everyone's makeup bag that they struggle to get right in every aspect: colour, pigment and type. Especially coming into Spring, I find that not just myself, but my customers are looking for something to help brighten their overall look, not just with their base/foundation, but with blusher too, as it is a great way of adding colour and complementing the full face. (I know I can't go a day without wearing blusher, I think with my ghostly colouring, I look ill without it!)




No7 already have a full range of blushers, but with the launch of the new Pop & Glow Cream Blush sticks they are bringing something entirely new to the table: three shades that are bang on trend for Sping/Summer 2014, with a creamy texture..but wait, they dry to a powder-soft, matte finish?! I usually steer right clear of cream blushers due to my oily/combination skin, but I was intrigued with the cream-to-powder technology, that we've only seen before in some foundations, lipsticks and eyeshadows. It was such a hard decision, but I decided to go for the lighter cool pink shade from the range: Rose Blossom. It is also available in a peachy-coral tone, Mango Sorbet, and a deeper pink-red shade, Classic Rose, so there really is a colour for everyone.




On the packaging of the product, there is no explanation of what it is, just how it can be applied: "Sweep gently onto cheek bones and blend with your fingertips. To create a more intense look, build another layer of colour and blend." After trying this method of application, I must say that this a no-go! The good news is that this product is so highly pigmented that you don't need a lot of it, so the bad news is that you can't just draw it onto your face if you want a subtle hint of colour; if you want a really flushed effect, then go ahead and draw on! I apply the Pop & Glow once I have completed the rest of my makeup, as this gives me a good idea of how much blusher I need to apply to complement the look.

     (Pop & Glow Cream Blush drawn straight onto the hand)
    (Pop & Glow Cream Blush blended in with fingertips)

Instead of applying it straight from the stick, there are two other options for applying this blusher:
1. Using your fingertips
2. Blusher brush
I prefer using my fingertips, as I find the warmth of my fingers on the cheeks helps to apply this product smoothly and allows the highly pigmented formula to be blended in to the strength that is desired. (Saying that, when I first started wearing this product for work, I would go in thinking that I'd blended it in enough..then for one of my lovely colleagues to come over and blend it in a little bit more!)

     (One layer of Pop & Glow Cream Blush on each cheek)

     (Left side - using fingertips; Right side - using blusher brush)

As you can see from this image, even with just one layer of the product, it is that pigmented you do not need a lot of it! I find I get better control with using my fingertips and seem to be able to work it to more of an overall flushed look, whereas using the blusher brush gives more of a subtle flush. I would stop at just the one layer with this colour for an everyday look.

     (Two layers of Pop & Glow Cream Blush on each cheek)
     (Left side - using fingertips; Right side - using blusher brush)

I wouldn't usually go this strong, but it just shows you how a build-up of this product can change the entire look. (However, I have just dyed my hair back to its nice dark state, so I actually think it doesn't look too bad!) As you can see, it dries to a completely matte finish, and even with two layers, it feels so lightweight it isn't weighing me down. And even with my oily/combination skin, the brilliant news is that I get a full day's wear out of this blusher without the colour payoff fading, and even with the matte finish, yes it keeps my shine at bay, but neither does it cling to or highlight any dry patches. I've been using this product for just under two months now, yet you barely tell I've been using it for that long! (Saying that, the same can be said for the rest of my No7 blushers, some I've had for years..oops..). With a price of £9.95 each, the Pop & Glow Cream Blush Sticks are most definitely value for money, and I would recommend this product to anyone, literally anyone! With a choice of colours to suit anyone, an easy application and a long-wearing formula, this product ticks all the boxes when it comes to what to look for in a blusher.

No comments:

Post a Comment